Requirements for Enrollment

New Students

New students must present the following documents:

    Parent/Guardian photo ID
    Student’s Social Security Card (Optional)
    Student’s Certified Birth Certificate
    Certificate of Immunization (Only Alabama issued immunization)
    Two proofs of residence
    Local school documents

Minimum Age at Which a Child May Enter School

A child who is five (5) years of age on or before September 1 or the date on which school begins in the enrolling district shall be entitled to admission to kindergarten in the public elementary schools at the opening of such schools for that school year or as soon as practicable thereafter.

A child who is entering the first grade must be six (6) years of age on or before December 31, or that an underage child who transfers from the first grade of a school in another state may be admitted to school upon approval of the board of education in authority, and an underage child who has moved into this state having completed or graduated from a mandated kindergarten program in another state shall be entitled to admission to the public elementary schools regardless of age.

Current Students

Each time a current student enters a school or he/she moves, 2 proofs of residency must be provided. 

Documents Required for School Admission

The parent/guardian is to submit the following:

  • Parent/legal guardian photo ID:
    Driver license or non-driver license or other photo
  • Student’s Social Security Card:
    The district requests Social Security Numbers, however, disclosure of Social Security Numbers (SSN) is voluntary only. SSN’s are used by the district for the limited purpose of properly identifying students for record-keeping and transcripts, and are kept confidential.  The lack of or refusal to provide a SSN will have no impact on the district’s enrollment decision.  Students who enroll without a Social Security Number will be assigned an alternate identification number. 
  • Student’s Certified Birth Certificate:
     The district request birth certificates to verify that students fall within a minimum age requirement. However, the school district will not bar students from enrolling because they have a foreign birth certificate or present no birth certificate at all.  In those instances the school district will allow for the presentation of alternative documentation to prove age. 
  • Certificate of Immunization
    An immunization certificate is required for every student enrolled in Alabama public schools. Only Alabama issued immunization certificates are acceptable.  A new enrollee from another public school in Alabama will be conditionally enrolled pending receipt of school records containing the students immunization certificate. 

An immunization certificate is required upon enrollment for the following:

  • Any child entering kindergarten or first grade who has not previously attended school.
  • Any new enrollee transferring from outside the State of Alabama.
  • Any new enrollee transferring from a private school.  If no immunization certificate is presented at the time of enrollment, all other registration materials should be completed and the parent/guardian should be directed to the Autauga County Health Department where a temporary IMM 49 may be obtained before the child may attend school.
  • If a student transfers out of the system, the parent/guardian should be given the student’s immunization certificate. 
  • When the IMM 50 is filed in the student’s permanent record, it should be duly noted on the Cumulative School Health Record.

Provisions for Determining Residence of Students

Proofs of Residence

Two proofs of residence are required each time a student enters a school for the first time, or each time he/she changes his/her address, new proofs of residence are required.  

Required: One (1) proof that reflects physical residence.

Property Tax Records or Deeds

  • Deed (Warranty, Quick Claim, or Security)
  • Current Autauga County Property Tax record

Apartment or House Lease

  • Current Residential Lease Agreement (must include the name, address, and/or telephone number of the lessor)

Required: One (1) proof from the following:  

  • Utility Bills or Utility Deposit Receipts
  • Current W-2 statement for the parent/guardian for the location of legal residency